Two Percula or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

easyian

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a pair of clowns about a year ago and was told that they were tank raised true percs. Well I have always been kind of skeptical that they may be O clowns. I bought Robert Fenners book and was kind of relieved when on page 275 he has a picture of two clowns hosting an anemone and identifies them as percs. That picture looks exactly like my clowns. Now confusion sets in when I grabbed the January '05 issue of Tropical Fish hobbyist. They have an article about clowns and their hosts and in it they identify a similar looking clown as an ocellaris. So now if I go one step further and look on this page http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=20&pCatId=27&TopCatId=27 my fish looks more like what they describe as an O clown. Would somebody be able to tell me how to establish the difference between these two species. Just so I can set my mind at ease as to which type of clown resides in my tank.

Thanks
Ian

:? Ok O looked at the link and the only diff. I can see is a littel coloration, the Perc. looks more oragne than red, and the Ocellaris looks a little more red than orange. The markings appear to be the same. Is this a correct observation?

I vote Ocellaris also, but I can see where you are confused. Its a tough call.
I have read somewhere with TR clowns, there has been some inbreeding between the 2.
Maybe you have a mutt. :)

The big difference that I notice between these two species is that the the O. (false perc) generally have thin stark black lines between the stripes. The True Perc has more of a smudgey thick black line between the stripes. My True Percs have a lot of smudgey black on them. Yours looks like an O to me.

percs

sorry, but it looks like an O clown. My LFS used to sell "true percs", but the coloration is different alot in adulthood. Now they finally changed it to ocellarises... Dont worry, it got some 2, and there just as good :wink:

Back
Top Bottom