Unidentified coral!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingusplease

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I just got a new zoa colony, and I just noticed a small bit of aiptasia or something. Can someone please help me identify it? It doesn't have a stalk, so it might not be aiptasia... I don't know. Thanks for any help!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389736625.254558.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389736655.224504.jpg

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the unidentified 'coral' is translucent, white-ish, spiky, and very sparse on the back of the coral frag rock.

Thanks guys - I guess it must be a sponge then. I've never seen one before, and it already looks like it's growing. Are they at all dangerous to anything else?

I'm thinking some sort of pest anemone. Maybe aptasia, maybe majano. It's bleached right now, but under your lighting it should color up to whatever color it is.

I started thinking the same of thing after looking at it again -- the shape of the "arms" resembles most cases of aiptasia I've seen, and the number of arms is drastically increasing every day (seems to be growing quick!)

Ok, please confirm if this is aiptasia:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389999250.199538.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389999303.417030.jpg
Also, what so you guys think I should do? It is pretty small, but growing fast. Please tell me of there is anymore info I can provide to help ID this thing. Thanks!

What would be best to do at this point? I've heard of lots of methods,
.. Not sure what would be best for such a small one

I use Kalkwasser. You can get a small tub of it at the LFS pretty cheap. I mix it up into a thick paste, shut all the flow off in the tank, then use a syringe less the steel tip and squirt some right in the center of it. When it closes up I cover the rest of it with more paste.
Being so close to the zoas you'll probably kill a few of them as well, but they will grow back in time.

Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the advice. I'm sure the Zoas will grow back pretty quickly, they've already started spreading to the LR (I'm spot feeding them)

Back
Top Bottom