Unidentified crab help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dude1982

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just found this little guy nipping at my Xenia lol. As I have seen him doing this and I have lost lots of yellow ployps too I don't think he's reef safe. Can anyone help me ID him please. I have just caught him and he's living in my refugium for now. Thanks.

Attachments

• image-3544703028.jpg
    image-3544703028.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 96
  • image-1308403936.jpg
    image-1308403936.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 99
  • image-884478956.jpg
    image-884478956.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 101
He nearly escaped back into the tank lol he was climbing up trying to get into the outflow of the refugium. :( I don't know what to do with him. Should I go release him into our sea across the road lol ?

Dude1982 said:
He nearly escaped back into the tank lol he was climbing up trying to get into the outflow of the refugium. :( I don't know what to do with him. Should I go release him into our sea across the road lol ?

No! Definitely not. There are enough invasive species that were released like that! It looks like some Crinoid squat lobster.

Oh yeah I forgot about that lol. I just can't let him loose back into the tank. Here's another pic of the little bugger !

Attachments

• image-805005919.jpg
    image-805005919.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 100
Do you have a refugium? You can let him go there. If not then you can probably take it back to your lfs and give it to them for free

I would agree with it being a squat lobster from the last pic posted. The LFS may take it back.

Thanks. I just googled squat lobsters and it looks very similar and it says they are reef safe and very peaceful but I found it trying to eat my Xenia. I daren't put it back into the tank lol. I'll take the little guy to the lfs tomorrow !

Back
Top Bottom