unknown crab snapping at others

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex&Jen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
just noticed the crab in the rock managed to get pics of it snapping on the other crabs please help identify.

I got the best pics i could sorry

I believe I can see it in the first pic. It is red with red and white banded legs?
I believe it is a preditory (xanthid) crab. They are usually just scavangers while small but as they grow they can become a problem with other inverts. Especially snails. I'd move it to a sump or refug area.

I like the old smuckers jar with a small piece of shrimp sunk in it (tie it to a shell) and lean it near where you spotted him against the LR after lights out. Crabs crawl in, and can't crawl out due to the slick sides. I've done it quite a few times.

I eneded up getting some shrimp and tried trapping the crab all night, it didnt work. The crab was able to move the jar out of the way with his claw. Any other suggestions?

I think you had the jar upside down. Leave the jar with the opening at the top....He should jump in and not be able to climb up out the top of the glass jar....

Yeah, did as you said, I used the smuckers jar, opening at the top. The jar was touching the rock and I assume was agitating the crab because he came out and moved the opening of the jar away from the hole he lives in. I am also having problems using the smuckers jar because my shrimp and clowns want to go into the jar as well. I forsee my crab getting into the jar and having a buffet at my expense. The crab is starting to get more aggressive.

Can you wedge the jar so he can't move it?

I forsee my crab getting into the jar and having a buffet at my expense.

I think the crab might be still too small to eat the fish and shrimp. Plus the shrimp and fish should be able to get out.....

Back
Top Bottom