unknown tiny anemone. aiptasia???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does it look like this? If so, this is a condylactus californicus. I have several of these and they are harmless so far.

img_2056471_0_bc0d07d9aba028b7daa9e7db4c84bd8c.jpg

i really cant say. they are the size of a pin head. but they are white. i dont think they have the white tips though.

RedLeggedHermit said:
alright ill try that. thanks for the help.

I thin k my buddy has those are they very small and in bunches from a distance it looks like brown fuzz on your rock?

they have a small stalk. with a disk on the head with tiny hairs that im assuming are its tentacles coming from it.

Try looking at Vermatid snails. If they are small hard tubes that don't move, then they are probably Vermatids.

danbstrong said:
I thin k my buddy has those are they very small and in bunches from a distance it looks like brown fuzz on your rock?

I believe these are called colonial hydroids.

they dont move but they are flexible. when i touched them i could move the head around. but it wouldn't move from its spot on the rock and it didn't retract into a shell or into a crevice in the rock. i dont thik its vermatid snails.

msmonikatou said:
Does it look like this? If so, this is a condylactus californicus. I have several of these and they are harmless so far.

That looks like Psuedocorynactis cribboreum, but very well could be corynactis californica, but it is not a condylactis sp.

i found a pic online that looks like what i have. pretty close. so i think its aiptasia.

aiptasia.jpeg

i kinda looks like that. but its too small so i dont know if its got that tan color on its base or not. and for the most part they are all scattered over the rock.

RedLeggedHermit said:
i kinda looks like that. but its too small so i dont know if its got that tan color on its base or not. and for the most part they are all scattered over the rock.

Aptaisia can be tan, brown, clear, white etc...

alright well the mystery is solved then. im going to get some peppermint shrimp with my next paycheck. so that should keep them in check.

That looks like Psuedocorynactis cribboreum, but very well could be corynactis californica, but it is not a condylactis sp.

It could very well be a Psuedocorynactis cribboreum as they seem to be very similar. I am totally new to the whole reef scene. They are very cute lol.

Back
Top Bottom