urchin???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeGiNeR_7

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think I have some kind of pencil urchin. It is only about the width of an eraser tip on a pencil. I have watched it move across the rock into holes. When the lights are on it normally stays in a hole or just in one place on the rock. These are the best pictures I could get for now. It is so small my camera has a hard time focusing on it.

Does anyone else have an opinion?

Attachments

• urchin_204.jpg
    urchin_204.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 33
  • urchin1.jpg
    urchin1.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 41
  • urchin_2.jpg
    urchin_2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 48
Hard to tell in the pic, if the spines are thick and blunt on the end, it's a pencil urchin. If they are sharp pointed, then it's a common black/purple urchin. They grow pretty quick, aren't a real threat to anything except some coralline algae. They grow to about 3-4" in diameter including the spines.

The spines are more blunt then spiny. I would say they look more like a chopstick than a needle. If that makes sense. I will have to wait until he grows somemore and post a better pic.

Looks like a common Black/Purple! I have 3 of them in my 29gal and I need to remove 2 because I can tell their starting to munch my coraline! They are really neat though and move so graciously across the rock!

Back
Top Bottom