Urchin ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1421701121486.jpg
    1421701121486.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 108
Definitly a sick tuxedo!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Anything I can do to make him healthy again?

I read somewhere that they can release toxins if they die.. Is this true? Should I remove it?

Pristine water conditions would help...but that guy looks like he wouldn't take to acclimating to a new tank well or even live much longer. Over half of his spines are gone.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I just found this online) but isn't this tripneustes gratilla? Otherwise known as the collector urchin

Here's a screenshot

Attachments

• 1421727591639.jpg
    1421727591639.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 99
Is this a better source? I'm not arguing that the urchin is unhealthy. I simply don't believe that this is a Tuxedo urchin. The lfs guy also said that it was collected on Hawaii which would fit the description of tripneustes gratilla. 1421762170089.jpg

most likely they told you that to make a few more bucks IMO
I bought a pair of cleaner shrimp as a mated pair from a local shop to find they were 2 males pet shops will tell you about anything

Regardless of whether it was collected in Hawaii or not, it's still not a Tuxedo. The lfs had it labeled at "blue black Hawaii urchin" so I don't think they knew what it was.

Back
Top Bottom