Velvety stuff on rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquazen

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all. This live rock is about a month and a half old. I started noticing this purple stuff growing on it about 2 weeks ago. It's gradually spreading out. It's purple and velvety looking. It also looks as if there are some tendrils coming off of it. I know this isn't the best picture, but I hope someone can tell me what it is. Thanks.

Attachments

• p1010002_351.jpg
    p1010002_351.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 50
looks like cynobacteria. It is a nussance algae and should be corrected immediatly or it will only get worse. There is a ton of info on cyno on this site. Do a search for it. Basically, there is excess nutrients in your water, most likely PO4. To get rid og it, syphin what you can off of the rocks and do several water changes using good quality RO/DI water. Test for PO4 as well. Evaluate your tank for dead spots and consider adding more powerheads to give you more flow. Like I said, do a quick search of the site for lots more info.

i agree with lando ..it looks like cyano to me. i had it when my tank was cycling, it went away after a few weeks of strick water changes and i also had lots of flow.

My pencil and pincushion urchins eat that and seem to love it, they stripped it off of a lot of my LR....

Back
Top Bottom