Vermetid snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keithadaniels

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm brand new to reef keeping having my tank for just about a month. I have experienced aiptasia and bristle worms. And now I'm wondering if I have vermetid snails. There was one piece of skeleton coral that had several white thin feather-like strands comming from it. And one or two pieces of live rock. From the research I could find the source of the thread don't look like the pictures I've seen of the vermetid tube. And since the threads are long and don't look as web-like as other pictures I've seen, I'm not sure what they are. I removed the piece of coral skeleton from the tank (the one in the attached picture) just in case. But before I go crazy can any confirm or deny what the threads are? Thank you!

Attachments

• image-424635994.jpg
    image-424635994.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 100
Those aren't vermetid snails. They give out a literal web that they feed with, not a string like that. It is def a filter feeder though. I'd keep an eye on it and see what it turns into.

Those aren't vermetid snails. They give out a literal web that they feed with, not a string like that. It is def a filter feeder though. I'd keep an eye on it and see what it turns into.

Thanks for the quick reply! Now I can go back to work and not worry.

I don't know what they are but I know I have loads of them in my reef and so far they don't seem to bother anything, but dang I wish I knew what they were because the not knowing might just bother me more than knowing they were ails pest

I definitely see several spread around the tank. This site (http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker/hitchhiker.shtml) has a nice overview of hitchhickers. It's really hard to see the details of the critter in my tank to know exactly if it's represented on the list since most are magnified. I'm thinking they might be Polychaete - Syllidae,
Syllid Worm. The article states that they need to be "watched". But when I read up on the worm they are only supposed to be 2 cm and the ones in my tank are at least 1.5 - 2 inches. So now I'm guessing they are something else.

I do wish I knew what they are so that I know whether to be concerned or not. Anyone else have any ideas?

I hope I'm not replying twice but I don't see my last response. So I apologize if I'm duping.

I found more around the tank tonight. I hope they were there yesterday and that they didn't multiple that quickly (seems impossible) since I wasn't scrutinizing as closely last night. I did some additional research and first thought they were Polychaete - Syllidae (Syllid Worm). But another source stated that those worms were only 2 cm long and the ones in the tank are at least 1.5 - 2".

Does anyone have any other thoughts on what they might be? I want to know if I should be concerned.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom