Very Young Brittle Star? Worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlkng1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Good morning...

As I was taking my last look last night into my tank, I spotted these three "legs" sticking out from under a piece of liverock. At first I thought they were bristle worms but the legs are striped black and white and are very narrow but solid..not see through. I would call them just a little thicker than a piece of cotton thread. The three legs were sticking out at different angles and were all individually mobile as evidenced when one of my Peppermint shrimp "tripped" over one of the legs...it recoiled in a curl rather than scooting away like I imagine a bristle worm might do.

I tried getting a picture but the camera couldn't pick up the tiny legs; they just sort of blended in to the sand.

The tank has been set up now for 5 months and nothing new added other than some corals on frag plugs.

Little brittle stars. It's good for the cleanup crew. They stick their arms out to catch food that passes by. Once you see one, chances you will see a lot more soon. Totally reef safe and a good hitchiker

Updated with Pics

Got a couple of pics that came out.

Attachments

• Legs.jpg
    Legs.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Legs2.jpg
    Legs2.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 101
totally fine in your tank. Its a cool looking brittle star(serpent star do not have the spines coming out) both are reef safe. he is bigger than i thought. You just saved 10-15 bucks on a starfish. if you drop mysis by him you will see its arms curl it up and bring it in the rock its hiding.

I went looking...I think I found three more in different locations. What is funny is that they look like they are coming out of individual holes in the rock..it looks like the rock itself is growing legs...like you said before, there may be more than one in each area I am seeing.

As for the Mysis, that was how I got him to come out to have his pic taken. I fed the tank..he came "running." :)

Back
Top Bottom