Weird looking Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjara03

Aquarium Advice Freak
This just popped up in my tank and i dont know what it is or if its bad... Any thoughts?? TIA!

Attachments

• algae_384.jpg
    algae_384.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 196
Right on schedule then, I guess. My tank went through some pretty ugly patches in the first 3 or 4 months. I think it's normal.

well i hope it goes away soon, and i hope its not bad for my tank... thanks for the reply!!!!

It looks like cyano to me. There's lots of information on here and other websites in regards to cyanobacteria.

It looks like cyano to me too. Does it have a slimy texture? If so, it is cyano. Otherwise it might just be diatoms, they are normal with die off from liverock. Do a water test and make sure your levels are right.

I'm gonna jump on he cyano bandwagon here too. Newer systems are just full of excess nutrients and cyano is pretty normal. Extra water changes will help you lower the numbers. Also, look at your tanks water flow. Cyano likes to rear it's head in low flow areas.

well the tank has been up for a few months and i just added about 35# of LR.. i have 2 MJ1200's running in it also... here is an updaded pic i just took now... thanks guys!!

Attachments

• algeae1.jpg
    algeae1.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 97
i highly dought that it is red algae, for one, its not red its green... thanks for the replys guys!!!

The last picture you posted is showing red algae. Either way, cyano can come in red, green, bluish and black varieties. Color doesn't change the treatment.

Fluff said:
Extra water changes will help you lower the numbers. Also, look at your tanks water flow. Cyano likes to rear it's head in low flow areas.
chineseknife said:
Yep, red cyano, you got it. Water changes, and reduced feedings, and a good strong skimmer.

A good place to start is what has been suggested already. Water changes are a huge part of fighting cyano. As is increased flow, reduced feedings and reduced light. Also, syphoning with airline hose won't hurt.
There is an article in Aquarium Advice's articles section on cyanobacteria.

Back
Top Bottom