What algae is this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dirk33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It's taking over!!

Attachments

• image-1500468854.jpg
    image-1500468854.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 100
Cyanobacteria. It feeds off excess nutrients and tends to grow on low flow areas. Only way to get rid of it it partial water changes, less feeding, and more water flow. :)

How bigs your tank pwc lighting and feeding are all good places to start..But the causes is high nutrients phosphate, nitrate, and they also consume heavy metals .depending on the size of your tank API makes a phosphate absorbing material in a bag for tanks up to 55 g and its realy cheap...if u have a reactor run gfo.... U will need to run some carbon to remove any metals if some our present ...while cutting your lighting will slow the spread ,and less feeding will lower nutrients,pwc help to but it will take 5 days of consecutive 15% pwc at a min to make a difference best bet is to absorb the excess nutrients with media...

The tank is a 29g biocube. I've been doing weekly 4 gallon water changes.
I read no ammonia or nitrites, and low nitrate...always under 5ppm. I don't have a test for phosphates but will get one soon
I run a media basket in the back with chemi pure elite and purigen.
2 fish at the moment, 1 clown and 1 six line wrasse. Feed once a day. Either pellets or frozen mysis.
Actinic are on 9 hrs and whites are on for 7 and a half hrs.

Yes. I rinse with distilled water and drain. I usually rinse twice unless I'm in a hurry.
I should add that I use distilled water for my top offs and salt mix.
I live in an apt and have no where to add a ro/di.
I know distilled isn't preferred but it does register only 0-1 tds so it shouldn't be contributing too much.

Back
Top Bottom