What are these things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexselus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have three things that need Identification.

This guy I think might be bubble algae, only I took this image roughly a week ago and it hasn't changed one bit.

4185874639_1c443f841b_o.jpg

I have no idea what these things are, they're white ghosty tubes that have popped up all over. This guy looks dingy because of a brown algae bloom I've had.

4186632696_a16d78f639_o.jpg

And lastly is this strange little thing. I think it might be an anemone, I *think* it moved but my roommate thinks I'm crazy and says it hasn't.

4185874553_e1525449e7_o.jpg

Any help is much appreciated :)

Well, the last photo looks like Manjano anemone...a bad thing.
Here is my now famous link:Xtalreef
It should help you to idenitfy hitchhikers that come into your tank.

I agree with you... #1 bubble algae. It doesn't look quite like the "normal" type I've seen, but there are many variants.

#2 I'm pretty sure is a type of sponge.

#3 I agree with thincat... kinda looks like the beginning of a majano.

If you look at the second picture, bottom right corner of the red box it looks like another majano or an aiptasia. Look good it's small.

If you look at the second picture, bottom right corner of the red box it looks like another majano or an aiptasia. Look good it's small.

Not sure how you noticed that! Good eyes!

You should give a gentle poke to the one that thincat saw. If it retracts into the rock then it's likely aiptasia or a majano. If it just closes up then it could be a small polyp.

The first one looks like a macro algae, grape caulerpa it can be good as long as it doesn't go sexual or doesn't take over the tank. My emerald crab kept it in check for me for a long time, then it went sexual and I had to pull it.

The anemone's got a tiny hole it's stuck in, big enough to hide himself in but tiny enough were i cant get at him, I'm going to pick up some Joe's Juice later today.

The other little guy you pointed out is a little chunk of the pruple/pink coralline algae that caught the light weird. Thanks for the help guys! I'm glad i can get the little sucker out of my tank before he gets too out of control. It's too bad though, it's kind of pretty.

Yeah, Majanos can look pretty neat. To bad they are bad for other life forms.

Back
Top Bottom