What are these things in my tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I took a pic of these but I cant seem to attach it . I think its sort of some POD. Its white in nature and are all over the tank but mainly in the sump and overflow area...They dont move from what i can tell and look like little white bags with little blooms of a sort at the top. Let me know what you think. All of my levels are perfect and I have about 75lbs of LR. Its a 125 with only 4 small fish in there and has been set up since last Nov.
Thanks

Are these good or bad? I tried squeezing one that I got out of the tank and they are like snot....sorry to be gross. Do I need to worry about them? I would assume not with the name Q-Tip!!

Assuming they are sponge, they are fine in your tank. Not good, not bad, just another bit of life. Other than that they are filter feeders and should never be exposed to air.

What do you mean by "should never be exposed to air?" Also where can I go to see pics of different spounges or to help me ID these things.
Thanks

Thanks kwan....From the list that was there, it appears there are 2 that look like the things in my tank. the first one is cliona and the other is scypha ciliata....both appear to be able to be purchased so I assume this is something people want in there tank. Just seems like there are more and more of these things growing. What can I get to eat some of this?? Or do I want this?

I had lots of scypha ciliata in my canister filter and protein skimmer, but not in the main tank. But they seems to hang around high water flow area with low light. I don't think they are harmful, but more unsightly. They eventually blocked my canister filter and I had to remove them by hand. A butterfly might eat them, I think. And they reproduce rapidly!

Yes they do reproduce for sure!! I dont mind them in the overflow as it is huge and the sump is ok too...just not in the tank...not to many in the tank though so will try and keep it that way. Dont know where I would have picked these up from....guess LR...Thought my wrasse would eat them but guess not!

Back
Top Bottom