What are they?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2Salt

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, they move much too fast for snails, they like to hide, they have small hard shells, kind of purple and whitish waves on it, and a long body with long antennas. Nope did't buy these in a store. Did just put some new live rock in about a couple weeks ago after curing it so if it came from their they survived no light for quite a few weeks. Right now they are in a dixie cup because I have some plant growth on my live rocks and noticed some have been eaten a bit, not sure if they are the culprits. One of them just remained up by my thermometer for the last couple days.

For a while we thought it might be a sick snail, but all the snails are accounted for. We have 3 turbos, 6 Astrea, 5 tigers. Should have gone the turbos all the way, but live and learn. Anyways, I don't want something that is going to destroy the life on my live rock, can anyone identify these, I don't want to flush or destroy anything that is beneficial either.

They do like to hide so I don't know if that helps.

Thanks!

I have a couple of those, but sorry I forget what they are called. I believe it was Kevin that identified it for me. It's a type of slug (I think) if I'm not mistaken and I was told beneficial to my tank. That little purplish area is its shell, although it looks like part of it.
I find them on the glass at night and in my rock during the day.

They are stomatella snails (Cap snails), beneficial algae and detritus grazers. Excellent addition to an aquarium and common hitchhikers on LR. IMO, they are the best cleaners I have, best thing is all mine were hitchhikers and came free on the rock
super.gif

Wow this quick reply is new, cool, Thanks Kevin, I would hate to get rid of something period, but didn't want it to hurt anything, boy they sure are fast though. I released them back in last night and they really moved.

Thanks again!

Kaurene

Back
Top Bottom