What do I have and how do I get rid of it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is your tank new? If so how old? Do you test for phosphates and nitrates? If so what are the readings. Do you use tap water or RO water or basicly whats your water source? Do you use a skimmer?

These are a few questions and answers that I can use to help you get closer to a solution. Basicly this kind of algae is often caused by excess nurtients in the water and the solution it to not fight the algae but to cut it off at its food source so knowing your setup is the first step.

Tank is a little over a year old, phosphates and nitrates are zero, I do have a protein skimmer and I do have a RO system for water changes and top offs. Is there a name for this kind of algae? I've tried to do some research on it to find out what I need to do but I'm not even sure what to call it.

Algae

Hi,

I am having similar problem. I used aged tap water. Water circulation is 3200 ltr/hr, lighting is abt 10-hr per day using 4 pcs arcadia fl to a 3-footer tank. Tank is abt a year now. Mushrooms (green tipped ricordia, yuma ricordia, red mushroom and green mushroom) all growing pretty well.

The red algae looks like carpet. How I wish I have a nice white clean coral chip substrate.

Could you pls let me know how to cut off the food source for algae.

Thank alot.

looks like a type of hair algea. how often do you change your water? how long is your photo period? is there any outside light coming in from a window?

there is many solutions the most lax way would increase your water changes to every two weeks and buy a algea clean-up crew. there also many types of fish that will help with that.

hth

mark

Since your using RO for your water have you changed the RO membrane and/or filter cartrages? Over time they become less effective and should be changed every so often.

Very strange that your phosphates are testing 0 and nitrates are testing 0. Usually on a tank that old you have some nitrates and there is a small level of phosphate that is in natural sea water but excessive amounts can be the fuel for undesirable algea.

Going on the light possiblity. if this algae is somewhat a recent development how old are your bulbs. Over time the bulbs lose their specitrum and start to show more into the red and yellow end of the speciturm and this is also fuel for algaes.

I have CSL pc lights (approx. 6 months old), I run them for 10 hours per day. I don't have any kind of background so there is incoming light from the outside. I change water every 10 to 14 days. I've been feeding flake food but have been feeding brine shrimp only for the last several days (once per day). I would say I've had an ongoing problem for about the last 6 to 8 weeks. I have checked my RO water for phosphates and get a 0 reading there as well. Should I try preventing light from outside sources?

how much sunlight would you say the tank gets and does only a portion of the tank get this sunlight?

IMO your bulbs have about 4-6 more months on them before they should be replaced.

Back
Top Bottom