What is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganj

Aquarium Advice Addict
This started growing out of the rock as soon as I upgraded the lighting. Not sure what it is...haven't seen anything like it anywhere else. It is a dark purple color and probably about 1" high right now.
Logan J

Oh yeah, coool man. You found a doonzeedumdweezy. The purple one.

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Just funnin

Hmm...I don't know if they are or not. I guess it'll have to grow some more and maybe we'll see. Gorgonian crossed my mind very briefly, but I don't know much about them so I dismissed the idea. I guess if the white bumps retract when the lights go out, that would be a good indication that they were polyps...right? Of course, it could be a dumdingdweezybat or whatever that was :). I'll do some digging on gorgs and see if I can find anything that resembles it. Branching coraline would be neat too though...I'll check that out too. Thanks for the ideas!
Logan J

It looks quite a bit like that red macro algae (that I can't remember the name of :oops: ), only purple. Is it hard? Soft?

I think, that it's a Distichopora sp. (or Stylaster sp.) - both of which are species of Hydrocorals. Similar to the Fire corals.

Here's a pic of some Hydrocorals:

wb2sm.jpg

From this article: Hydroids — The Ultimate Cnidarians

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom