what is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nightowl2k

Aquarium Advice Regular
Please help me identify..a month ago it was smaller than a dime...now its bigger than a siver dollar and growing..ty

ForumRunner_20130416_210855.jpg

ForumRunner_20130416_210839.jpg

Without being able to see the mouth or foot my first guess would be a rhodactis mushroom. Some of the rhodactis species are extremely showy, others are quite drab. This looks like one of the drab ones. Still a nice specimen. The reproduce by leaving a tiny piece of themselves behind as they move along. It may have been growing there for some time before you saw it.

Thankyou..was worried was not nice..came out of nowhere,lol .its next to zoas on same rock,can that be a problem?

The quick test is to see if it is sticky. If it is not sticky the it is a mushroom, and you are safe. The zoas and rhodactis should cohabitate just fine, and if the mushroom decides it doesn't like the zoas it will move itself.

No problem. We all have to learn somehow, and it is much easier than when I was first learning almost 20 years ago. The resources are so much easier to access. Then it was all on paper or in person.

Quick question guys do you just stick your hand in there and see if it is sticky or what still new to this and want to start adding corals thanks....

That's what I do. It's not a carpet anemone so I personally wouldn't be concerned about the sting. Your mileage may vary though. Others are very sensitive to nematocysts, and cannot tolerate contact with any cnidarians. You can use a small piece of raw shrimp and see if it sticks.

Also, an anemone will react to touch very quickly while a mushroom is quite slow. One can take a clean stick and gently touch it to see how fast it retracts. The retraction can be trickier to judge if you don't have something to compare it to.

MINItron,i did what you said..i touched and not sticky,i also put a mysis shrimp and it didnt stick...guess you were right.must be a coral..thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom