What is on my rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flake

Aquarium Advice Addict
I finally got my live rock in the tank and everything is fine and dandy except for some questions about what's actually on my rock.

This is a very gray patch that looks remarkably like mold.
img_1005087_0_c511a77dffc54fc664031b32dda55402.jpg

This is some some very stringy algae-like stuff that's very neutral in color and waving about in the current.
img_1005087_1_acc1e5ab76bf9d5daf1f1025f14946e7.jpg

img_1005087_2_39669368b9aefe348a1bf6582d51ecee.jpg

Very pretty purple stuff.
img_1005087_3_746c8b0c4809c779bead9a59cc00d33c.jpg

A terrible picture. I had to take all of these with a macro lens since everything is so small. This is a tiny little something also waving in the current. It looks thicker than the other algae looking gunk.
img_1005087_4_98201df415b4bd4e7a3632c8eae496f1.jpg

1st pic looks like sponges, harmless.
The next ones look like encrusting sponges...are they that color because the sand is still settling or are they that color?
Purple stuff coraline.
Last one is tough to see.

Well, if that rock isnt cured, and its curing in your tank right now.. couldnt that white/grey stuff just be decay?

It possibly could be but everything doesn't die during the cycle....

1st pic looks like sponges, harmless.
The next ones look like encrusting sponges...are they that color because the sand is still settling or are they that color?
Purple stuff coraline.
Last one is tough to see.

possibly from settling sand but I think they are about that color. They blow around quite a bit in the current so I'm not sure anything could settle on them.

The rock is supposedly cured. That patch has been there from the moment I put the rock in, so either it was already dead or it's something else.

Well if it was cured already then most likely its something else or whatever it was that roka said it was. I'd go with his suggestions rather than mine lol, i was just giving possibilities. ;)

I appreciate the thoughts either way. Any input helps. The moldy looking sponges are a wee off-putting, though knowing it's harmless is a relief.We might be turning that rock around :D

Well, why dont you point a powerhead directly at it and leave it there for a minute or two and see if it will blow all the junk off of it? If not, im sure you could just get a clean sponge and rub it off. That might work.

Those sponges will come and go. They will generally start growing on the underside (darker) areas of your rock.

Back
Top Bottom