what is swimming in my tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have dozens and dozens of small thingys swimming in my tank. At night I can see them with a flashlight. They almost look like small fish, they have orangish bodies and translucent tails. The move kind of funny. I thought at first they could be some kind of fry from the shrimp or clownfish, but I only have one of each. There are no pairs of anything in my tank except for hermit crabs and snails. The picture is blurry but the move really quickly. All the little spots are the thingys. Can anybody help with a suggestion about what they are. I figured that they would have already become fish food, but I have seen them for three nights in a row. TIA.

Attachments

• thingys.jpg
    thingys.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 308
Sounds like either epitokes or mysid shrimp.

If it was observed in the early AM just before sun up, could also be hermit larvae. They do not "swim" in any real fashion though. Moreso bob upwards to the surface.

Cheers
Steve

I see them about an hour after lights out, I'm not up that early in the morning :wink: . They don't look like epitokes ( I had to google that to see what they are). Maybe mysid shrimp, they are attracted to the flashlight when I shine it on the tank. I'm jsut surprised that they haven't been eaten yet.

haus said:
I'm jsut surprised that they haven't been eaten yet.
You'll be plesently suprised then. They will multiply like mad and are a very good animal to have in the tank. Great little scavenger and a nice little snack for whatever fish or coral that might catch one.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom