What is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shortysteve23

Aquarium Advice Activist
image-3718594597.jpg

What is this little guy should I get rid of him just found him

Attachments

• image-707475350.jpg
    image-707475350.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 107
He looks just like one of the many common rock crabs you can get coming of your live rock I have had a similar one only difference was he's black and ive had no problems he's good for cleaning crap out of your tank... Are you planning on having any corals or any shrimp? Could be a problem than... If just fish and live rock you'll be sweet

No coral right now I wanna take it slow though I should he's orange but you said he's probably good news?

Yeah all new little critters that you can watch grow and do things is good news... That's what I rekon any way I have 2 clown fish in an anemone a blue rang a copperband butterfly fish and a blue lunar wrasse I've got like 3-4 crabs but there black and the first one I had was microscopic but now he's of a scrunched up tissue so watching him grow and have baby's was pretty cool but in my tank there are no conflicts if u have conflicts I would def get rid of the crab before the fish or corals....

He doesn't seem to cause problems I'm sure he's been there for a while now I just do happen to see it last night looking at my anemone hermit crab and conch I saw something little and orange I'm not sure if he's the only one or if there's more though

it looks like a xanthid crab to me. seemingly harmless when small, but not at all reef safe. like trent stated, if you don't have corals you have nothing to worry about. all crabs are opportunistic feeders, but i don't see them catching shrimp or healthy fish on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom