What is this??!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zakwhite

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys I have this piece of rock with about a 5mm hole in it there is a strange looking with like 2 eyes black and white thing popping out eats the flake food nicely!!! What is it its really weird!

Attachments

• image-3347932392.jpg
    image-3347932392.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 215
  • image-3579014192.jpg
    image-3579014192.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 233
It's hard to make out in the picture could you get a better shot? Does it swim like a fish or is it an invertebrate? Does it have claws?

Very hard to see on my phone but almost looks like shrimp's eyes. Line a Mantis shrimp's eyes but the rest (body) looks different.

Very hard to see on my phone but almost looks like shrimp's eyes. Line a Mantis shrimp's eyes but the rest (body) looks different.

That's what I was thinking too.

I believe this is the beast in question for those that can't "find" it

Attachments

• image-802437237.jpg
    image-802437237.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 164
It's hard to make out in the picture could you get a better shot? Does it swim like a fish or is it an invertebrate? Does it have claws?

I will try get a better shot!
I would say it will come out fr about 2 seconds from an inch of its hole
I would say invert
Yes it does have claw like things ;)

Better snaps from my iPhone 5 so should be better ;)

Attachments

• image-3859416657.jpg
    image-3859416657.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 154
  • image-2489604588.jpg
    image-2489604588.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 146
Better snaps from my iPhone 5 so should be better ;).

I don't think you'd hear a Matis shrimp or a pistol shrimp TBO. I have a pistol and don't hear anything. Have you ever watched a video on the mantis shrimp? There very interesting.

http://youtu.be/i-ahuZEvWH8

My pistol shrimp/goby pair which are now in my BC29

http://youtu.be/WCzFkEaF3eo

I have three pistols, one being a bullseye that must snap 20 times a day at least. Very loud bugger. I've also heard one of my candy canes snap usually when another shrimp, crab, or snail gets near his burrow. 15 years ago I had a mantis hitchhiker and first noticed it by the snapping sound, and once I heard it I eventually was able to see it at night moving around its rock burrow.

Your telling me you can hear a baby (small) mantis shrimp or pistol shrimp?

I haven't heard my pistol shrimp yet. Not saying your not but were talking about a tiny tiny hitchhiker right now. I don't think your going to hear it just yet...

I could be wrong though...

I got one that is approx a half inch long and yes ive heard it (while seeing it) snap at an emerald crab.

Back
Top Bottom