What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamroz37

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was just looking at my tank and it has been up and running sence thanksgiving and I just saw the other day Copepods or whatever there called and just saw this sluggish looking bug I attached a pic

Attachments

• image-108108038.jpg
    image-108108038.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 108
Ummm idk it's almost complexity flat and looks like it has spikes on the back

That's the best I could get I can't find him now he hid somewhere haha

Possibly stomatella. Does it look like a slug and move on the rocks pretty fast?

Yes looks like a slug an fast not very but it does move fast for a slug I guess

It's about the size of that but looks almost as if in its back there are spikes like if it where his spine it's hard to explain

Well, it depends... Until you can actually identify what it is there's not definite answer to that question. The only thing I can think of that possibly have spikes on its back that looks like a slug would be a nudibranch... Try to get a clear pic when you see it again. That will help a lot on identifying what it is

No it's not that ether I wish I could get a better picture

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a chiton 100%. I've had quite a few of them in three different reefs. They're harmless but they will slowly feed on coralline algae. I can tell you though, that ain't a problem at all. Every tank I've ever had them in was covered with coralline. I honestly believe they may help seed the tank with coralline by releasing tiny particles in the tank as they feed. I love chitons. Very cool little animals.

Back
Top Bottom