what is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did not put this in my tank I hope its not one of the conch things just seen it today thanks

img_211387_0_bfdbfc349edf067bbf03b2f07a6a3b93.jpg

img_211387_1_71728943e55cca670db708df2745c64d.jpg

If the shell is completely smooth all way round, it would most like be a species of Conus and should be considered predaceous. I'd remove it if so.

Cheers
Steve

Do you think Steve??? it kinda looked like a conch to me to. Is thier anyway to get a picture of the back end of it so we can see how the shell swirls??

Mike

Um if it's a cone snail then you might not want to touch it.

I agree with Mojo, conch or least some species of Strombus. That's why I originally said if smooth all the way around. A Conus sp will look identical to a Conch with that one exception. The Conch will have the ridged posterior or along the shell opening and a more defined "swirl".

Other than the probosis, have you seen two eye stalks like that of a hermit?

Cheers
Steve

no eye staks just that tube looking thing i put it in my q tank for now but if you all think its safe i will put it back let me know please

Personally I think it's a type of Strombus but I am not willing to stake the health of your animals on anything less than fact.

What I would suggest is a not quite so scientific test. Place a piece or nori and a small piece of shrimp in the tank with the snail to see what it prefers. It won't be conclusive by any means but might make it easier to descide on keeping it or not. The only thing I could find that it resembled was a Strawberry Strombus. :?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom