What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have these white sac looking things on some of my rock, inside my skimmer, in the sump, and in the over flow. At first I thought they were stomatella snail egg sacs, but google didn't support that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I see them in all my skimmers never thought anything of them , never seen anything come from them so I just never pay no mind , but now looking in my skimmers there seems to be a bunch of snails that shouldn't be , they have no way to get were they are at so they must have been egg sacks , 2x a year I do have snail populations grow tons of baby nerites , but that's always after I replenish the snails many say snails surviving reproduction in a closed system is 0 to nill I disagree I always see baby snails and they seem to survive, couldn't say 100% those sacks are eggs but looking into my skimmers now really makes me wonder

All I see are pineapple sponges and the filter feeding tube worms that I can't recall the name of. They faded away in my tank after several months. They pointed toward excess food in my water column until I got it under control, when there are a ton of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't have nerites, but I do have some astrea snails. I'm just suprised the things got to the skimmer. Pre sponge in the overflow and then a filter floss pad on top of the sump seems hard to get through.

this is a nerite snail egg sack looks almost like what I see in your skimmer
sycon_ciliatum-0.JPG

could also pass as a pineapple sponge

Both of those look sk close to what I have. I'm leaning towards the sponge because I have never had nerites in this tank.

all it takes is a egg on a frag plug or even on a rock so tiny could go undetected nothings impossible in saltwater

Pineapple Sponge
and the white curly looking thing next to them are called Pileolaria

I'll have to keep my eye out of any nerites now. If they are eggs or sponges they don't seem harmful so I'm happy.

Back
Top Bottom