What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wwidener

Aquarium Advice Activist
This red, brown clam shell looking like thing developed in my tank. This is the second time. I have two false clowns and a wrasse in the 30 gal tank. What is it?

Also, I believe this red algae is Cyano on the substrate, no? If not, what is it? If so. How can I get rid of it? All I do now is just scoop sand over it.

Thanks.
20171124_173427.jpg

large water changes along with more water circulation , ease up on feedings . a turkey baster works great for blowing off the rocks and you can lightly blow the sand surface while running a siphon .

You'll need to find the source of where the excess nutrients are coming from and fix it, Are you using tap or RO/DI water have you tested your water source for nutrients
what do your parameters look like.

how long has the tank been set up , the first 6 months is the big hurdle but it's up to you to get through it by maintaining your tank and keeping up with it . things will get better in time so just hang in there.

large water changes along with more water circulation , ease up on feedings . a turkey baster works great for blowing off the rocks and you can lightly blow the sand surface while running a siphon .

You'll need to find the source of where the excess nutrients are coming from and fix it, Are you using tap or RO/DI water have you tested your water source for nutrients
what do your parameters look like.

how long has the tank been set up , the first 6 months is the big hurdle but it's up to you to get through it by maintaining your tank and keeping up with it . things will get better in time so just hang in there.
Tank has been set up for about a year. Parameters are WNL. I am using saltwater from the LFS but I do test their water before I add it and it's always WNL. I can imagine excess nutrients are from feeding, I have been concerned about that since I changed food from flakes to frozen food/chromaplex. The turkey baster is a great idea.

What about that clam looking like thing? It just appeared. It's a soft shell shaped, not living thing.

with your frozen food try using a small net and rinse it with a little tank water over a pail
that will help with nitrates some .

Back
Top Bottom