What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wwidener

Aquarium Advice Activist
This hard spaghetti like thing is in a live rock and has little flowers (for lack of a better word) budding at the end.

Also, what is going on with my wrasses eyes? There is some white stuff coming from his eyes/nose.

20180107_063115.jpg

Those are tube worms or little feather dusters...They have hard calcium stalks..
Many wrasse cover themselves in a protective slime at night ..
My quick guess would be you are seeing the 'sleep slime'....
Nice looking tank !

Those are lots of hard tubed feather dusters that are feeding off of the particulates in your water column. Having lots is usually a sign of excess nutrients in the water column...which we discussed in your hair algae thread.
As for the wrasse, it is either a bump he got from a rock when diving in and out or it would be part of the mucus coat they build at night for when they sleep in the sandbed.

I didn't know about the slime coat wrasses make. That's cool.

The excess nutrients thing kills me because others said the same thing, so I am barely feeding only once a day. I feel like I'm at a point where I choose to get rid of algae and kill fish or deal with algae and have fish....

Those are lots of hard tubed feather dusters that are feeding off of the particulates in your water column. Having lots is usually a sign of excess nutrients in the water column...which we discussed in your hair algae thread.
As for the wrasse, it is either a bump he got from a rock when diving in and out or it would be part of the mucus coat they build at night for when they sleep in the sandbed.
What do you mean by water column? I haven't heard that term yet. Thanks for your help btw.

Those are tube worms or little feather dusters...They have hard calcium stalks..
Many wrasse cover themselves in a protective slime at night ..
My quick guess would be you are seeing the 'sleep slime'....
Nice looking tank !
So I checked out hard tube worms, worms with dusters, etc and found no pictures of what this is. Other ideas?
This hard spaghetti like thing is in a live rock and has little flowers (for lack of a better word) budding at the end.

Also, what is going on with my wrasses eyes? There is some white stuff coming from his eyes/nose.

View attachment 306050

What is your water source? What is the TDS of that water source?

Edit: Your water column is ALL of your water in the system.
Understood. TDS is unknown at this time. Water source is from the LFS but I have tested it and parameters are WNL.

What is your water source? What is the TDS of that water source?

Edit: Your water column is ALL of your water in the system.
So, excess nutrients. The only thing I can think is that in stage 1 or 3 of my sump, there is something creating the nutrients. I have checked the refugium section and everything is fine.

You might not be able to find a picture of that, but those are 100% feather dusters living in a large colony on your rock.
If the parameters are 0 across the board, then it is a continuation of the issues in the water column we discussed in your other thread.

Ammonia is 0, nitrite is very high, nitrate is around 80ppm but it never goes below 60. Phos is 0. Ca is 400. KH is 8dKh. pH is 8.1. Mg is around 1200ppm.

Ammonia is 0, nitrite is very high, nitrate is around 80ppm but it never goes below 60. Phos is 0. Ca is 400. KH is 8dKh. pH is 8.1. Mg is around 1200ppm.

first let me say your readings are all over the place

you say 0 ammonia
nitrites very high what is high , if you have any nitrites your not cycled

nitrates 80 way beyond safe zone 0 to 20 for a reef closer to 0 is best 20 to 40 fowlr closer to 20 best

now you say you have 0 phos if you have nitrates in the 80's it impossible to have 0 phos

your all over the place go back recheck all your readings because something is not right

Back
Top Bottom