What is this little hitch hiker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vlrm23

Aquarium Advice Regular
We found it yesterday and it was like half the size. It's tentacles stretch about half an inch long and it has a spiral body. Apperantly it likes to attach itself to the glass.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110705_231418.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110705_231418.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 246
Cool thanks! Do you know if they're good or bad our if they even matter?

They eat deitrus. Very common hitchhiker that won't do any harm. If you have a population explosion, it's a good sign that you are overfeeding. Cut back and they will die off and regulate themselves.

Okay thanks. :) We just bought some rock because we're still building our tank and I think that's where he came from... :)

I'm sure that's it. That's the best part about saltwater IMO. You get a rock and out comes these amazing little critters you had no idea were there. We have a surprise button polyp colony growing on a piece of live rock that's been in our tank for years. We upgraded the lighting and ... Boom. These beautiful little critters appear. It's fun!

That's awesome! We're still pretty new to this. We started or tank in january. :)

Our tank was over 4 years old when we bought it but we are working on finishing our 125 gallon stand and then we will be beginning a new build. It doesn't ever really seem to be done in this hobby. Lol

Haha. That's pretty cool. We're in it for the long run. I just don't want to finish buying rock because my boyfriend and I can stare at them forever finding new stuff. :p

That is my favorite part too. The fish are great, the coral is cool but the little life is the fun part. Every day I look in there not knowing if today I'll find something new and amazing.

Back
Top Bottom