What is this on my rock ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like apitasia anemones to me. It's a pest and can be a pain to completely get rid of. I've had luck with Aiptasia-X, you can find it at your LFS.

Peppermint shrimp eat them as well.
Some say they they don't have luck with their peppermints eating them but it's always a good thing to try. Mine ate the only 3 I had in my tank. A benefit is you have a cool shrimp, and they can find all the aiptasia you dont see in all the nooks and crannies. You can add more than one.
GL!

Yeah thoes can be a pain in the butt. Get a blunt syringe and inject them with boiling water.

I have heard from more than one person that injecting them causes them to release thousands of eggs into the water resulting in a never ending battle. I have witnessed this happen with friends who injected and battle these things to this day.
IMO going the natural route first is the safest way.

JLH-l3ioCub3 said:
I have heard from more than one person that injecting them causes them to release thousands of eggs into the water resulting in a never ending battle. I have witnessed this happen with friends who injected and battle these things to this day.
IMO going the natural route first is the safest way.

Maybe the water wasn't hot enuff. I did it when I was fixin to make mac and cheese. The peppermint shrimp way is easier.

I just picked up some LR that has a few of possibly the same thing. Can we just take it out and let it dry out to die?

stock-011.jpg

I guess that may work, but wouldn't that kinda defeat the purpose of buying Live Rock in the 1st place? If you were gonna do that, you could have bought dead rock and saved your cash.

Very true however, this is a very small piece of the bunch. But really, is it worth trying to not lose the money you just invested in that piece of rock vs infecting your tank with something everyone is saying could almost epidemic? I just took that little piece with the 2 aiptasia out of the tank. Sounds like a potential nightmare to me and I'm just getting going.

mrbee2828 said:
Very true however, this is a very small piece of the bunch. But really, is it worth trying to not lose the money you just invested in that piece of rock vs infecting your tank with something everyone is saying could almost epidemic? I just took that little piece with the 2 aiptasia out of the tank. Sounds like a potential nightmare to me and I'm just getting going.

I had one on a piece that was easy enough to take out so I just took it out and burned it with a lighter and scraped it off.. That's the quick, easy, and sure way without drying out your LR and killing all the beneficial organisms in the rock.

thanks

thanks for everyones help i am going to try the shrimp way as they look pretty cool also....i got mine on some live rock i bought also very annoying lol

If you can take that rock and throw it out, it's not worth it there soo annoying!!!!!!!

I had the same thing. Lemon worked magic got me. Just make sure to poke it in the mouth and inject it. And keep the power heads off while you do this. Wait about 10 mins and siphon the area. For me the juice and dead aptaisa comes out if not I use the needle to scrap it out. never came back again.
:)

Throw it out if you can , you don't want that problem, I've lived with it for couple years now

Back
Top Bottom