What is wrong with my leather lobed coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcs401

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please see picture. There is a weird mucus stuff all on my leather coral? What's this from is it going to survive? What can I do?

Attachments

• image-1562321953.jpg
    image-1562321953.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 105
  • image-3490332257.jpg
    image-3490332257.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 84
I am not an expert on salt water tanks, but I would just wait a few days to see what happens. Or just completely remove it from the tank. Compare your coral to pictures of the same coral. Do you have a picture of your coral BEFORE the muscle stuff appeared?

Leather excreted alot of toxins if stressed and they also shed when growing best thing to do is to get a airline start a syphon and syphon just about it but don't touch it as can stress it more i you have lps corals such hammers or torch check they are not sending out stings if so move whichever either lps or leather out of tank immediately as it will be chem warfare keep an eye for a few days after syphon if keeping lps as if it does more then it doesnt like a coral near it..

Good luck

I can't see any mucus in either picture. Leather corals will shed a mucus layer to rid themselves of algae or dust. That will also periodically sulk like an anemone where they shrink down only to reinflate for no apparent reason. Really those two pics don't look bad. The polyps are only partially extended, but if it is sliming they would likely not be out.

Check you water parameters, particularly nitrate, calcium and carbonate hardness. Also look for any other tank occupants that may be harassing the leather, though I don't see any other corals in the pictures. It could be a hermit crab or fish that is causing the distress also.

Adding carbon or Purigen to your filter (or putting in fresh media) can help combat chemical warfare.

Thank you all! I will post a new pic in a couple days. Hope it gets better. Please continue the advice it is much appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom