What kind of Algae is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jehenry89

Aquarium Advice Freak
Some info to start, all my levels are fine I checked them a few days ago. The tank was started about 5-6 months ago. It is a 50 gallon with around 60lbs of rock. My sump is 20 gallons with a PSK-75 insump skimmer.

I currently have 3 small corals, a torch, a metallic green hammer and green star polyp. The fish currently in the tank are 2 picasso clowns, 2 Kaudern's cardinals, a royal gramma, 2 cleaner shrimp, a mix of snails, two purple fire fish and an engineer goby.

I have 2 Taotronic led lights hanging from the top. When I got my first coral, the lights were on a 12 hour cycle but I reduced it to 6 hours when I saw the algae start.

I am currently feeding my fish 1/2 a mysis cube at a time, 1-2 times per day and 6 days a week.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMAG0406.jpg
    IMAG0406.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMAG0407.jpg
    IMAG0407.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMAG0408.jpg
    IMAG0408.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 98
Is it brown or green? I can't really tell through the pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I see both cyano and GHA (green hair algae.) Often a sign of excess nitrates/phosphate, sometimes from over feeding or exposure to sunlight through a window. Test for these params, cut back on feedings, and do regular WCs. I'm sure someone with more recent experience will chime in. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I see both cyano and GHA (green hair algae.) Often a sign of excess nitrates/phosphate, sometimes from over feeding or exposure to sunlight through a window. Test for these params, cut back on feedings, and do regular WCs. I'm sure someone with more recent experience will chime in. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
The last time I tested was on Tuesday and my Nitrates were 0ppm and phosphate was 0.2ppm

.2 is high for phosphates. Get it down to .03. You can use a phosphate reactor to run GFO

Retest in a few days. Unless you have a media rack with great flow the it won't work. Best bet is gfo in a reactor. But hey, this hobby is trial and error. What works for you might not work for others.

Retest in a few days. Unless you have a media rack with great flow the it won't work. Best bet is gfo in a reactor. But hey, this hobby is trial and error. What works for you might not work for others.

It was actually really small. I was able to put it into my overflow box without having to adjust my pumps. Hopefully it helps. Ill keep you posted.

You are feeding way too much. Cut back the feedings to 1 cube 3 times a week and the problem will subside. I feed my 75g 1 cube on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and I have a happy healthy tank with happy fish and corals. Also rinse the cube before putting in the tank if you can.

Back
Top Bottom