what kind of algae is this and how to get rid of it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CAGaHTN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
as of ths week i still dont have any hermits or snails.

Attachments

• hpim06521_101.jpg
    hpim06521_101.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 38
Looks like cyano. It thrives off of PO4. PWC with RO/DI water. How much and what do you feed. Food is also a source.

i think its phosphates because my water test great in all ranges except ph shows up a bit. i am planning on using some phosguard but was wondering about inverts i could use or any tangs that eat it. i have a yellow tang, royal gramma, 4- yellowtial damsils, male/female maroon clowns, Fridmani- Tank-Bred, and 2- cleaner shrimp. i have a maxima clam, hammer coral some pink plate coral, fingering leather, pulsing xenia, 2 green acropora frags and 2 branches of torch coral. im running a berlin skimmer and i have anotherone but i jsut need a new pump. i have 2- 10,000k MH's and a powerhead. thats the setup i have right now. i can post anyother pics if anyone wants to see it

The bubbles pretty much give it away. Tangs etc will not eat it. Best thing is to try and vacuum as much of it out as you can and do some WC's. If you are using tap water it is a likely source. Once you eliminate the PO4 source it will go away.

i use RODI water, i bought the tank with 2 zebra damsels and a big crab that i guess ate everything else and a fingering leather. it had one other leather but it was dying when i got it all for 450 buck. so i think the water was a bit off i just need to lower the phosphates. i clean the rocks ad it takes about a week for it to start to grow back i vacume it out and keep the good water.

test for phosphates and post the numbers.. its hard to tell from the pic if its cyno.
Is it slimy to the touch and is it easy to blow off the LR? Even if you use ro/di water you can still be getting PO4 from that water. If you have high PO4 in your tap water old DI's may not remove it all. So testing is a must to track down the source. they say over feeding can also cause PO4 levels to raise.

i use 0 PO4 water. i know my roommate will feed them when someone comes over and im out or ar work so the feeeding i know is a part of it. its not slimy and it comes off the rock very easily. in the upper right corner of the pic is the back of my tank. i dont hav a tester yet i just go to my old job where i cleaned fishtanks to do my testing and get my water.

if its not slimy then it could be a type of hair algae.. test your water and you will know what you need to work on to correct the problem. also test the new water for po4 so you know for sure its not the top off water.

Back
Top Bottom