What kind of Anemone is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platinum

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got this Anemone from a friend and he doesnt know what kind it is, i was wondering if anybody could ID it, and tell me what it eats so I could feed him, here are some pics.

looks like a condy to me btw here is a link to what i am talking about.. Condy

James

By the looks of it, it could be a Hatian Pink Tip, (Condy) or a Long Tentacle Anemone.

Not sure about the LTA, but if it is a Condy, they are movers. Very seldom do they stay in one place... They love a snack of fish pieces, pellets, squid chunks, shrimp, etc... If you have any corals in the tank, you may want to keep an eye on him... They pack a good sting and can wipe out a colony by brushing by it in float... Also, be careful of the powerheads, they like to get caught in the current, and then get sucked into the intake of the powerhead, thus killing it... Not a pretty sight.. You can cover the intakes with foam or other mesh to keep him safe....

Good luck...

BTW it will be happier in the crook where the sand and LR meet. It will bury it's foot in the sand ;) If it has already attatched...do not try to move it, let it move on it's own to where it's happy.

reefrunner69 said:
It's an LTA, Macrodactyla doreensis.
Agreed, the stripes on the tentacles are not present with any type of condylactis.

Cheers
Steve

I had one that looked exactly the same to that one. It died about a week after I got it (found out it had a hole in its foot). The LFS sold it to me as a long tentacle anemone, and when I told them about the hole in the foot, they were quick to give me store credit stating that it should have never been sold to me in the first place. Check the foot to see if it's OK. Good Luck with it as it is a beautiful species.

Back
Top Bottom