What kind of coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weagle117

Aquarium Advice Regular
I visited a fish store @ 2 weeks ago (prior to 9-1-11)... heard they sold coral frags for a reasonable price... I purchased an eagle eye polyp and this white polyp. The guy in the fish store couldn't tell me what the white one was. He said that he had never seen one before & no one had bought it... several people had talked about it but didn't.... because, he said that polyps usually turned white like this before they died but that he had had this one for a while & it seemed fine... he just didn't know exactly what it was... anyway, sounded interesting so I brought it home. It has looked nice hasn't deteriorated any.... I keep thinking I see new little ones but so far it only has the 7 little polyps. There are some small white "things" around it but I can't remember if they were there before & if they are polyps they are very slow growing. The eagle eye polyp that I bought at the same time has 2-4 new little ones coming up... The white guy closes some when the lights are out but when I touch it it closes up more. Does anyone have an idea of what this is? I just thought it was really pretty I'd give it a try.... The 1st pic is a few days after I got it. The last 3 were taken tonight. I think it looks a little bigger.... maybe:) Anyway, let me know if you have this or have seen it anywhere and might know what it actually is. Oh, and is there any reason I shouldn't have that toothpick in the tank helping to hold it in place? I haven't had any luck with gluing wet rocks ( used epoxy putty stuff) and I'm not really sure where I want it permanently. DSC01040[1].jpg

DSC01105[1].jpg

Attachments

• DSC01107[1].jpg
    DSC01107[1].jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
My guess is palythoa grandis. Being there are no corals that are naturally white I'de have to say it's very bleached.

The toothpick shouldn't hurt anything but it will eventually fall apart.

Thanks, I thought they were pretty, too. Of course, I thought my aptasia was nice too before everyone educated me:) Oh.... and my bubble algae was extraordinary! I'm glad to know these are not "poisoning my tank." Actually, I don't know that since I'm not sure what palythoa grandis is.... I think I'll look that up right now. Thanks again.

weagle117 said:
Thanks, I thought they were pretty, too. Of course, I thought my aptasia was nice too before everyone educated me:) Oh.... and my bubble algae was extraordinary! I'm glad to know these are not "poisoning my tank." Actually, I don't know that since I'm not sure what palythoa grandis is.... I think I'll look that up right now. Thanks again.

Hahaha, I remember years ago I was so very proud of my aptasia ;D even took a picture! ROFL
Still think they r pretty, but now I don't want it

They look to me like bleached cinnamon polyps. But that's just my opinion with the pics u provided

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to look up how to "feed" them -i.e. repopulate their zooxanthellae:) -right now (I read Wikipedia). I really really like them white.... but I'd rather have them alive. If anyone has any clever ideas I'm open for suggestions. I did squirt them with Rod's food last night. They closed up around it like anemones. I had to shoo the fish away so they could hold onto it. My wrasse kept pulling it out of their little.....mouths (?) It will be exciting to see what color they are. I got a little eagle eye (polyp?) zoa thing at the same time. It's really a small frag but it is growing more of itself. Hopefully they need the same things as the little white one and they will both start to flourish soon:) Thanks again for all the comments.

If your eagle eyes are happy chances are those polyps will be too, Hopefully with the proper care you can bring them back,

Back
Top Bottom