What kind of Crab is this???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rthoman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had my tank for almost a year now. I just saw this crab for the first time today! Where did it come from??? What kind is it? Its grey with dots and had red eyes. Its underside is a cream color. Any ideas?? Is it bad??

It really looks like this one>http://home.attbi.com/~76fxe/crab1.jpg

Check out the photo in my gallery below.

100Picture_76.jpg

I edited your post so your pic would show up in the body of the message.

I can't really get a good look at the crab, so it's hard to tell. IMO, most hitchiker crabs are problems and should be removed from the display tank when ever possible. If it looks like one of ReefLady's crabs, maybe she can chime in here. She is much better at IDing crabs than I am.

Hmmm.....sorry I missed this! That crab that I had in our tank (actually, two of them) was tentatively ID'd as a Eriphia spp.
They are NOT nice hitchhikers - ours had it's own personal collection of empty snail shells.
I have no idea how we got ours either - the only thing I can think of is that they hitched on our original purchase of uncured Fiji - and that it took them 3 years to grow big enough to become a nuisance.
It's really hard to get a definite ID from that pic, but I'm not a big lover of crabs in general, even hermits. Many crabs are harmless, but, if you're missing snails, and hear snapping/clicking noises coming from your tank (ours made this noise when cracking the snail's shells) - then I suspect it's time to attempt to remove it.

Also, based on the markings/coloration, this crab does closely resemble some of the lighter colored Eriphia spp. The Eriphia spp. are also known as the "red-eyed crabs".

Info. on Eriphia spp. from MCRA Vol. III:

These crabs feed on various small invertebrates.

Nocturnal; during the day they hide under rocks, coral rubble, or in crevices and caves, where they firmly lodge themselves so that they cannot be removed without damaging them.

Aquarium requirements: These are highly predatory crabs, not suited for a community aquarium, but they can be kept in a large fish aquarium, or in an aquarium with large, tough invertebrates, such as anemones.

HTH!

wow that looks like the crab I just found in my tank, My tank has been set up since 1998 and no new lr in over a year. I have not had any problems with my little critter, but he is driving me crazy on trying to figure out what kind he is.

Mine has brown legs with white tiny spots he looks brown with the white light shining on him but he blends with my lr :rocol:

Can anyone give advice on how to get the uknown crab out? Oh and a site that has pictures and stuff on crabs?

Thanks

I have been trying to get mine out for a while now. The problem is he only makes an appearence every month or so.

Rthoman, This is what I was told to do. Take a piece of squid or shrimp and wrap it with a rubberband and put it into a tall drinking glass by the rock (angled kinda) and when the crab gets in there to eat the bait :mrgreen: he cannot crawl back out and BOOM you have the little guy :mrgreen: I am going to try this method this weekend, I will let you know the results.

Oh has your little critter bothered or killed anything? Mine is getting less shy but only somes out after the lights have been off for a couple of hours.

Back
Top Bottom