What kind of crab is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got this guy today at my LFS, he is fairly big and for a good price but as he wasnt listed wanted to double check and see what kind of crab he is.

My tank is a 75 gallon FLR...

1.jpg

2.jpg

Attachments

• 1_125.jpg
    1_125.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 2_167.jpg
    2_167.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 1_867.jpg
    1_867.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 54
Looks to me like one HUGE hermit crab...... watch him around any small fish you might have......

He is a big fella, says they get up to 4 inches..

Is he going to hunt my fish down at night?

Dardanus megistos. They get about 4" across. I can't really tell how big he is now from the picture but figure at for inches, he'll get about the size of a womans fist.

another note.... you might want to change your substrate... are you using pebbles???

Its crushed coral, prolly just looks funny because of the picture and or angle but he has been picking up the coral, cleaning them off and then chucking it to the side when he is done.. quite the site.

My main worry is the fish, I have the fowllowing fish in the tank atm.

Medium to large Yellow Tang

Small-Medium Blue/Hippo/Regal Tang

Large Maroon clown

Two small Perc Clowns

Medium sized blue damsel

Super small purple damzel

I have plenty of live rock for hiding space, here are two pics of the tank for a better shot of the size, scope and environment.

Forgive my picture taking skills as this is my first digital camera.

Attachments

• 3_145.jpg
    3_145.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 60
  • 4_613.jpg
    4_613.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 158
Forgot to mention how cool it was when putting him in the tank, all the fish hovered right above the crab in a circle just starring at it for like 5 minutes.. never seen anything like it before.. they were so interested in the new guy in the tank.. that or scared to death of those claws. :lol:

I would think it will be fine, but keep an eye on it. Do you have any other clean up crew such as other crabs or snails, I did not see much in the pics? If so I would be more concerned with any current of future snails.

Also, just curious how is your maroon clown with the percs? Any aggression issues?

I have nothing else in my clean up crew but plan to add some in the future, what might make for a good pairing with my Godzilla crab? :wink:

The maroon does pick at the Percs a little bit but mostly when they waddle into his path, they dont have any noticeable fin damage nor does he hassle them during feedings, the bullying got better with my recent move from a 55 gallon to this 75.

I was mostly worried about the two Tangs but they get along like pal's.. even sharing the same algae wafers with one another.

The 55 will be a freshwater and I have a 20 high in the bedroom with a Snow Flake Eel (the escape artist) and 3 three stripe (devil) damsels.

These are actually very destructive crabs. They will literally consume anything they can catch. Corals and mobile inverts would definately not be safe. It would also kill fish given the chance but you currently do not have fish that would be easy prey.

Cheers
Steve

Hmm, I guess this greatly limits my future purchases.. wanted to get some soft corals and sponge in the future but dont have the lighting available just yet.

Did want to pick up some cleaner shrimp and a Yellow watchmen Goby in the near future, how might they fair?

He is very very cool, and I picked him up cheap $4.99 when Live Aquaria has them for around $13.00 I think, but it seems this will make any other purchases a tough choice.

I moved the Snow Flake eel to the other tank because I didnt want him killing any future snails, shrimp etc... out with one threat and in with another... :roll:

How might those two get along then? :D

Might just have to keep them in the 75 if they will be ok and have another tank for smaller less agressive stuff. :D

Cool hermit. My hermits don't bother anybody but an occasional snail. I know they are common but I have had great luck with my emerald crabs. I have 3 and they are busy, busy all day and get along fine with my hermits. Of course my hermits are zebra and not aggresive types.

Good luck with him.

jmet said:
Did want to pick up some cleaner shrimp and a Yellow watchmen Goby in the near future, how might they fair?
Hard to say. The shrimp is pretty agile but depending on the goby, they are typically benthic and can make easy prey. If a burrowing species, they can become easily trapped.

I moved the Snow Flake eel to the other tank because I didnt want him killing any future snails, shrimp etc... out with one threat and in with another... :roll:

How might those two get along then?
The eel will most likely make dinner out of it :p

Cheers
Steve

My eel can get some big stuff in his mouth but that would prove to be quite the task imo. :mrgreen:

He is about 8 inches to a foot long...

The eel wouldn't need to, they are quite adept at dismembering prey so it's small enough to eat. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Quite the conundrum im in now deciding what to add.. decisions decisions.

What kind of cleaner shrimp do you guys suggest as a tank mate for this monster? I would think the bigger the better.. would be nice for my two tangs imo.

What about other crabs or snailsas in what kinds?

Snails I would think would stay on the glass and as for crabs, dont they mostly go after them for shells? If I get smaller crabs he wouldnt go after those shells... what about the shell less crabs....

Instead of trying to work your tank around one hermit, is it totally out of the question to take him back? Maybe trade him in for some shrimp or blue legged hermits? I realize he's cool and all but with all the limitations he's causing for your tank....... Just a thought. Personally, I wouldn't keep any other inverts with him. Why take the chance? Cleaner shrimp are very expensive to buy them and have them be snacked on. Also, not all snails stay on the glass. They like to graze on your LR as well as some like to bury themselves in the sand.

Your point is valid and has allready been thought about, however I hear mixed reports around the different forums.

One person will say a large hermit is a monster yet another has one with other inverts with no problem, looking for suggestions from those who are doing the same.

A shrimp is never completely safe anyway as you never know when a fish might go after him. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom