what looks similar to candy cane coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found the below photo in a post by Phyl. I have something that came on my LR that looks very similar... colorless/clear tentacles. At first I thought it was young aiptasia, but it has kept this same appearance. It doesn't have much of a "stalk" or much of anything below the tentacles. Phyl's photo is candy cane coral, I think. Might this be what I have, or can anyone think of something that looks similar that is more likely?

I'm borrowing a camera from a friend right now, and the batteries are dead. So I can't post a photo until I get the charger from him.

Thanks.

Attachments

• p2171602.jpg
    p2171602.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 80
Fluff said:
I would say it's either Astrangia sp or Phylangia sp but I've never been able to tell them apart. Here is a pic of one from one of our members galleries.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2387

Yes, this could definitely be it. The base really looks like the base of the candy cane coral in Phyl's photo, but not as 'tall.' Same appearance, different size in relation to the tentacles.

Any special care requirements for astrangia / phylangia?

You may want to google hidden cup coral and see what you get. I believe I've read that they are non-photosynthetic and need to be fed meaty items to thrive but, I can't say for sure. All I can find is that they are found under overhangs. I had some and they only opened up at night. Sorry I can't give you more specifics.

Back
Top Bottom