what the heck is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
looked at my tank today and i see this piece of rock moving across the bottom.

upon closer look, it looks like a crab.... has blue legs.

img_1190416_0_832d12a808e871217a85af9c1c7999d6.jpg

any idea what it is? should i take it out or let it be?

switched to my macro lens.

heres a picture of it

img_1190418_0_6eb52761d74bafc99104b648b1879918.jpg

will he bother my fish? i've heard of some crabs coming out at night and eating livestock

ok cool.

i cant believe it survived the move. he probably hid in the sand (i kept the sand underwater while moving the tank.

Yep blue leg hermit. Good little CuC. Little buggers can get annoying if you have lots of them and they are pretty hardy. Usually harmless tho except for maybe knocking coral over. :D

yeah and killing snails if you dont keep up on giving them bigger shells, but other than that a good guy to have, fun to watch as well!

They eat detritus and left over fish food. No need to really feed them specifically.

Clibanarius tricolor is a hermit crab that lives in shallow water of the Caribbean Sea and is popular in the home aquarium trade. Its common names include blue-legged hermit crab, tricolor hermit crab, blueleg reef hermit crab, equal handed hermit crab and blueleg hermit crab.

C. tricolor has blue legs with red banding, and reaches to 2 centimeters (0.8 in) in size.

Feeding
C. tricolor is a detritovore, eating dead plants and animals that would otherwise clog the reef.
It also eats green hair algae, cyanobacteria and seaweed. It even sifts through sand looking for food, cleaning the sand in the process.

In the aquarium
C. tricolor is a popular aquarium hermit crab because of its coloration and because its feeding habits lead it to clean tanks. It is emblematic of the public's shift from purely decorative animals to "working" animals that help sustain the aquarium's ecosystem, reducing the need for active management by the owner.

This is the wiki article on them.

Back
Top Bottom