What this stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheyCallMeButch

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm aware of the apatasia that is there but I'm curious as to what the red bubbly type stuff is. I've watched it populate more and more slowly. It's a hitchhiker I got on a rock that has some zoas on it. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440821576.546545.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440821591.132090.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks like either a red bubble algae or a caulerpa.

EDIT: Not caulerpa. I was thinking red grape. Just getting a tad late and not thinking straight. So nix that, it's red grape.

Last edited:
Do you think it is work keeping around? I haven't read anything bad about it. Looks kind of neat to me, honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I see Aiptasia , some sort of polyps , xeina can't tell what type ,
The red leafy stuff is macro algae I believe its named red cabbage as it looks like a cabbage patch as it grows , almost all herbivores love it to snack on , it is a fast grower and needs to be trimmed back often , one way to resolve that is put it up high it tends to grow upwards, this will help prevent it from growing like wild fire , I can't remember the name off hand but it is one of the common macros I use in my tanks ,
If you are not one practicing daily husbandry on your tank this macro isn't for you ,
I have been hosting many macro's both trial and error for close to 4 years or so
it's my way of learning about all types and how they react to different water conditions, and lighting
This is one of a few of the faster growing red macro's , most reds grow at a slower rate,
greens are the fastest growers

Back
Top Bottom