What type of tang is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elitehunter1

Aquarium Advice Activist
What do ya think? And what color will it turn as it ages? Thanks!

Attachments

• image-815853581.jpg
    image-815853581.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 118
  • image-3862727056.jpg
    image-3862727056.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 123
Well he doesn't have the stripes like a kole, or the yellow eyes. Its weird because sometimes he turns silver, but most of the time he's black

looks like a tomini to me. Did you just buy a tang and not know what kind it is? LOL How big is your tank?

Actually I got it in Hawaii when I was there. I was in the fish store, and some kid brought in a bucket of fish he had netted. He had a few of these. The store owner said they were surgeon tangs and charged me 6 bucks for em. So I bout em and shipped em back with what I had caught.

Very close to the tomini but not quite, very different fins, and slightly different colors

thats good, at least the tang, whatever he is will have enough room. does he have any yellow to him on the fins at all? He looks like my tomini in those shots but knowing his origin makes me wonder if anyone can figure out exactly what type he is.

Well he has a slight bit of yellow at the base of his fin. Very light yellow. And his bottom fin, when expanded is tipped with a VERY thin layer of a brilliant blue. It's thread size at max, and you can only see it we he expands his fins. Also where his fin meets his body, he has those "blade like" tiny fins starting to appear, much like my naso tang has

I'm pretty sure what you have there is a ring tail tang. With the markings visible and the details you describe he appears to be coming out of his juvenile colours and will soon start looking more adult. Doing this on my Phone so cannot upload pics to demonstrate what I mean but you can have a look for yourself. I'm pretty certain that's what he is though.

Wow, looks like youre right! I just looked that tang up and he looks just like the pictures.

That was a solid ID, how did you know so quickly? Are you that into tangs? lol

Are all gangs supposed to be herbivores? My tangs all love brine shrimp

Tangs love snacking on shrimps...plus the gut-loaded shrimps will add a verity of vitamins your tang can benefit from...however the tangs main diet should be nori...

I would love to see what this tang actually turns out to be, maybe repost a pic in a year or so? So many of them look the same as juveniles that identification of them is left to speculation starting from where they originate from which helps rule some species out but by no means positively ID's anything at such a young stage. I actually think it could be any one of those suggested - the indo pacific region is so wide open and subject to ever changing conditions.

It's definitely a species of Acanthurus (so not Ctenochaetus), and my bet would be on A. dussumieri. However, as paulace2372 points out, juveniles of many species are very similar ... indeed as are the adults! Most of the species I would think are likely candidates get a little on the large size, so bear this in mind when you consider long-term housing.

Tony

Here's a couple other pictures . He's pretty camera shy so it's hard to get good ones. I've looked up all the suggestions and they all look really similar to this lil guy but there always seem to have one lil difference! Lol. Im sure you guys are right and he'll end up maturing into something awesome. Either way it looks like it was well worth the $6 I paid for em, in fact I should have got more lol.

Attachments

• image-2285141245.jpg
    image-2285141245.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 75
  • image-4179014934.jpg
    image-4179014934.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom