Whats On This Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Bought this rock for the ,what turns out to be non-exsistant, dusters it was supposed to have. Any clue what this stuff is thats covering it? I'm getting the impression it's coral. (Duh!)
It's like brown spots ringed in green.

Attachments

• sep14_0001_105.jpg
    sep14_0001_105.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 62
  • sep14_0002_195.jpg
    sep14_0002_195.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 81
Let me guess... you bought a "Christmas Tree Rock", or Christmas Tree worms? If so, the worms are the dusters you're talking about and are probably hiding out in those holes in the Porites. They'll probably come out once things settle down.

Yes, It is "Xmas Tree Rock" and it has been in the tank for over a week and no sign of any worms. I was unaware it had coral on it when I got it (internet order)...I thought it was like a piece of LR with a bunch of worms in it. I got it from Marinedepotlive.com...I have been sending e-mails (something like 4 so far) to them asking how long it usually takes for the worms to come out. They don't reply. I'm not happy with the cust svc.
Although the Blood Shrimp, Damsel, and Flame Angel I got from them were very nice, and I saved a ton of $ over the LFS.

Keep in mind if the coral dies so do the worms. Porites is a SPS coral that needs intense lighting, strong water flow, and proper Ca/Alk to maintain it's health. I would move it as high up and close to the lighting as you can. Using foods such as DT's live phytoplankton and oyster eggs will benefit both animals, especially the worms.
Xmas Tree Rock" and it has been in the tank for over a week and no sign of any worms.
Have you checked all your water params? That seems a little excessive, but who knows. Good luck.

It could be possible that the worms dropped their crowns from the stress of being shipped and put into a new environment, in which case they would have the grow it back so you can see them. Feather dusters are very sensitive to changes in salinity.

OK...I moved it as high as I could get it....Hope it's enough. How do I know if it's dying/dead? The coral that is. The image on FantasyReef Databse shows like little polyps with fingers...this rock has none of those.

I think you are correct about the crowns. Let's pray the move will give enough light, if it's not too late already.

usmcmarc said:
think you are correct about the crowns. Let's pray the move will give enough light, if it's not too late already.
While they can drop their crowns when stressed, generally lighting alone will not affect the worms themselves so much. The porites coral they are living in will appreciate high light/flow levels but the worms are non-photosynthetic filter feeders. That is why I suggest feeding quality micro-foods such as live phyto. The worms actually prefer more shaded, calmer waters. In an aquarium it's a juggling act, but they are fairly hardy/adaptable IME given proper care. They are not easy animals to keep though, especially in newer tanks and/or low-moderate lighting conditions.
shows like little polyps with fingers...this rock has none of those.
Not really surprising the polyps are not extending since the dusters seem stressed as well. If the piece becomes more white, or is bone white already, then you have a problem. That means the tissue is gone and all that's left is the skeleton.
How did you acclimate the piece to your tank?

I usually drip acclimate for at least an hour..most often 1.5 to 2 hours. This one was a 1.5 hour drip. I think most of the stress came from shipping. The porites are not white, actually very colorfull brown and green, it's just not fuzzy. Like I said I moved it up to the top of the tank. My water is fine. only trace amounts of nitrate. I do weekly PWC's. I'm also going to add Kent Marine Tech CB A&B once a week for a month to help keep the calcium levels up. I think it will be fine, just a little extra TLC

Given the pictures, your porites looks healthy, but like was said already, it probably needs time to adapt. I would assume that marinedepotlive.com kept it under either T5 or MH lighting, since that is what it likes best, and it is adjusting to your lower light levels. I high quality phyto (like MT said) will help boost it along.

Give it some time, it should come around for you. Porites is a fairly hardy species and I'm sure with some time to adapt it should perk up.

HTH

I have Kent Marine:

Phytoplex
Chromaplex
Zooplex

Are these "high quality"?

I have one of those squeeze bulb target feeders...just spray a little directly on the coral?

I'll let one of the more experience phyto feeders chime in for this one. When I feed, I usually just dose the entire tank and not target feeding certain animals. However, check out the soda bottle trick. Cut off the top of a 2 liter soda bottle, keep the lid. Put the bottle over top of the coral, lid sticking up. This way you can squirt some phyto into the bottle and not have it fly around. Don't overdose with phyto this time, start off slowly with it to try and entice the coral to extend it's polyps.

I've not heard much about the quality of the bottle phytos from Kent Marine, though I know DT's gets the highest praise possible and it's generally easy to find.

HTH :)

usmcmarc said:
I have Kent Marine:

Phytoplex
Chromaplex
Zooplex

See... I told you you'd eventually use them, and it wasn't money lost! :lol:

With the size of your tank, I'd target feed. The pop bottle trick is good, or just turn off your water circulation and "baste" the coral and let it sit for 5 minutes or so before turning back on the pumps.

Once a week? Alternating between each kind each week?

i.e.

phytoplex 1st week
chromaplex 2nd week
zooplex 3rd week

repeat

and once I use that stuff up...I can change over to DT's

usmcmarc said:
I have Kent Marine:

Phytoplex
Chromaplex
Zooplex

Are these "high quality"?
IMO no. You want live phyto and fresh, frozen zooplankton like DT's phyto and oyster eggs. In general I would be wary of any micro-food that doesn't need to be frozen or refrigerated. Those things you listed will do a better job at fouling the tank than anything else IME.

I use marine snow with a great deal of success, I have tried DT's but I didn't feel like it was worth the extra money. Then again I don't do much in the way of sps corals.

I did as Kurt said and shut off my pumps and "Basted" all my coral with chromoplex and let sit for 5 min.

Porites have not changed..but I am seeing little thin hairs poking out of the holes. Looks like the worms popped their heads up a little. But the crowns look like they lost the feathers and only have the thin ribs remaining.

SO I guess thats a good sign. Just have to wait for the crowns to re-grow the "Feathers"

And I ordered (2) KORALIA-NANO Pumps to replace the SEIO. they are lower GPH and smaller so I'll gain a little more room.

I will direct one at the porites and the other somewhere else.

I figure (2) 240gph pumps will be better than the one 620gph. The SEIO is turned all the way to low, and still is a bit much. I'll put it in my FW tank.

MT79 is correct...I used the ***plex stuff and I have tons of algae now, looks like some more cyano popping up. I'm gonna have to trash the ***plex stuff...it just makes a mess.

Back
Top Bottom