What's this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weagle117

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just zapped my aptasia so I'm on to another question..... Is this just algae or could it be something wonderful? I was in a fish store last week where they had a rock covered in bright green ??? It was neon and quite beautiful. I gave the lady my name and asked her to phone me if she got more in. She said it was pretty hard to get so I'm not imagining that I could have it but it did look similar to this.... but much thicker. Anyway, if you know what this is please let me know.... also, if you have any idea of what I might have seen in the fish store let me know that, too. Thanks for all the help.... I'm full of questions tonight:)

Attachments

• What's this green stuff- 12-3-11.jpg
    What's this green stuff- 12-3-11.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 87
Dude. Looks like bubble algae. And thats not good. Forgive me if im wrong but the pic is hard to make out. Are there small bubbles all over it??

No bubbles just a green layer of.... probably algae...... I have a sea urchin that seems to keep the bubble algae at bay (I've had a little of it that was identified but I got it out and haven't had anymore trouble.... then I read that sea urchins kept it under control.....) I would just assume this is algae except that I saw the.....whatever it is........ in actually 2 different display aquariums in different stores. Maybe the picture is too far away to make a good id. I may try another picture tomorrow. Thanks

Hi, what type of sea urchin do you have, I got bubble algae popping up far too quickly. I read emerald crabs are another possibility?

I've never seen bright green covered rocks that someone would imply that its hard to get and a good thing. That's puzzling to me your lfs said that. I once had some base rock that was nearly black in color. It got covered in something similar to that and the rest of the lr didn't.

Besides, that rock pic above is just that - rock. Looks too solid without pores, nooks and crannies associated with the better lr. I'd recommend no rocks that are just solid rock. Heavy and expensive when sold by the pound, and won't provide a haven for the wonderful things that live on and especially in the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom