What's this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got it from the LFS yesterday is it a coral How do I get it to perk up?

Put it in your sandbed and wait. They are a more low light coral and drop 'trees' to reproduce. Can easily overtake the rockwork. It is probably just adjusting to the new tank and should perk back up with time and stable water parameters.

+1 to the above. Also, watch out as these guys tend to take over when they find the "sweet spot" of lower light and lower flow, mine has dropped 6 branches in less than 6 weeks and is producing more by the day. From what I've heard the branches can wipe out the other corals wherever they attach, but the haven't bothered anything IMO.

And regarding your question, just wait and give it lower light, as sniperhank said. Mine took about a week to fully open up, and looked like a miniature pinecone when I got it lol, so closed up from shipping.

It could be a Kenya but it also might be Xenia that's not real happy. I had the same thing happen. I haven't exactly determined what happened, but I believe my water parameters were just a bit off. If this goes on for another day or two, you may be able to cut a piece off of there that hasn't kicked the bucket and grow from there. Xenias are also know for randomly kicking the bucket.

It could be a Kenya but it also might be Xenia that's not real happy. I had the same thing happen. I haven't exactly determined what happened, but I believe my water parameters were just a bit off. If this goes on for another day or two, you may be able to cut a piece off of there that hasn't kicked the bucket and grow from there. Xenias are also know for randomly kicking the bucket.

It's definitely a Kenya tree, I've had a lot of experience with them.

Also, the reason it's like that is because it's new, or at least that's what usually happens for new corals. I doubt it is actually harmed, it looks healthy enough, just a bit closed.

Btw OP how is it doing?

as a precaution check your phosphate level as they don't like high leveles

the first pict kind of looks like its melting

Back
Top Bottom