What's this critter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brat213

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have several big and little critters like this in my tank. And have been wondering what they are and if they are a good thing. I have no algea problems and I think I only have 1 or 2 snails in the tank but probably 6 of these things. I figure they are algea eaters.
All Info. is greatly appreciated.
THank you!!

reefrunner69 said:
Anyone remember..."The incredible Mr Limpet"??? LOL
:D You are really showing your age!

BTW, Limpets are a type of snail, and yes they eat algae.

It's a Keyhole Limpet. Favorite food will be Hair algae and some coralline. Will also eat Hydroids for some reason as well as the skin from some leather corals.

Number 6, LIMPET...LOL

I have caught mine chomping my Blastamoussa Merletti... I just moved it to the other side of the tank and haven't had a problem since... BTW, when they get stuck they are stuck, you can hurt them trying to pry them up..

Thanks for the replies. I thought it may have been but the picture I saw of a limpet, didn't look at all like these, there must be a varity of them, or maybe I didn't search hard enough.
I'm going to search again and see what info I can find on them, mainly if they get very big? I have 2 good sized ones now and saw atleast 3 much smaller ones (babies I guess)
THanks alot!

I hear limpets are supposed to be bad things to have in a reef tank.. I have been removing all mine and tossing them in for the Mantis.. Is this not true or???

James

cj10488 said:
I hear limpets are supposed to be bad things to have in a reef tank.. Is this not true or???
James

Some limpets will feed on sps, leather and zoos. best kept in your refuge

Back
Top Bottom