whats this on my Mushroom rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockerman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi all. i have been given a Mushroom rock but i got some longthings growing on it. do anyone what what thay are menythanks reef.jpg

As I know nothing about SW, I am just stabbing in the dark on this one, but it looks like what other people have called Macro Algae. Can anyone confirm?

thankyou is a good thing or should i get it off the rock

Correct, a macro algae. It looks similar to Gracilaria or Dichotomaria. The like to sprout up whenever there are excess nutrients in the water. Wait, are those bubbles on it?
I saw those bubbles, but Fluff got before I could even finish typing! I agree with Fluff.
I will move this to the SW ID section.

Last edited:
It's not a bad thing. It will help take up excess nutrients in your water. If it gets out of hand, you may need to keep it trimmed back which is simply enough to do just by breaking or cutting it back. I did a bit of searching and I believe your particular macro is an Botryocladia uvaria if you'd like to do some more research. HTH

thanks everyone i will keep on the rock and see how it gos

I had the green version of it and if you let it attach to something else, it will send out "roots" and grow pretty quick. The "roots" make it real hard to pull out.

Back
Top Bottom