White cobweb growing over live rock...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
I will try and get pictures tonight, as well as test for water parameters.

I have had my LR for almost a week. Starting to see some die-off (sponges mostly) but in the last 3 days there is now a white cobweb-like thing spreading across two of the rocks. On one it;s in the center, started near a patch of macroalgae. On the other rock it runs along the bottom where the rock hits the sand. It is pretty solid, ie there aren't a lot of holes through it. It almost looks like a fungus of some sort and is spreading FAST. Is this normal with new LR? Can I do something to minimize it? I don't want it to kill all my other stuff if possible.

Hate to tell you this, but pics will probably be needed for the ID.

It almost looks like a fungus of some sort

It sounds like it could be a sponge. I had one. It grew quick, looked like white mold. My urchins ate it.

Is this normal with new LR?

I'm not sure if there is a "normal" with new LR. You just kind of have to set back and admire. Since you are in cycle, I wouldn't worry about too much, especially since you don't have any critters in there and there is no risk of death, other than normal die-off, which could possibly grow back in the near future.[/quote]

It could be a type of feather duster that lets off some mucus. Check at the top of this forum under Sticky: Hitchhiker FAQ for the Reef Aquarist. then look under live rock hitchhikers (i think page 3) and it is in there. HTH

Code:
especially since you don't have any critters in there

Ah, but I do. I got a small goby in my LR.

Actually, I did a water change last night (bc of the goby) and sucked most of it off with the siphon. it was very soft. Normally I'd just let everything be but I don't want to kill the little goby during the cycle!

Back
Top Bottom