White dots on glass and rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ferretmath

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I noticed that there are little white dots on my glass and rocks. After looking at them REALLY close, they look like little shells starting to form. Is this bad?? My levels are:

NO3 - 0
NO2 - 0
Alk - 300
Ph - 7.8
Temp - 79

I have a 20 gallon high with two damsels, two turbo snails and 2 itty bitty red legged hermits. My tank is about 4 months old. Mostly base rock that has a good covering of purple and green coralline and a little fully cured live rock.

I'm trying to think of anything else that might help......

Oh, some dead coral that has some coralline on it. Running a Fluval 204 and one powerjet........

Any ideas???

Thanks! :D

Hey ferret I`m going to move this to the identification forum so we can get an answer. A pic would be good if you can get one

Sounds like serpulids. They are pretty typical in newer tanks. They are simply put, tiny featherduster worms, they are harmless and can be scraped off easily. They usually have a large bloom but then die back some.

Do they Look like this. I have loads of these in my tank and always assumed they were pods.

Attachments

• img_4150_160.jpg
    img_4150_160.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 71
I have tons of these in my tank too and love them. They are algae grazers. I had them ID's as mini turbo snails. They never get any bigger but can become a nuisence with thier numbers. I haven't had a problem with that though.

I hope my feather dusted die back soon, i have a field of them on my sandbed lol

I have tons of these in my tank too and love them. They are algae grazers. I had them ID's as mini turbo snails. They never get any bigger but can become a nuisence with thier numbers. I haven't had a problem with that though.

Mine seem to have stayed the same size as well, and my population is increasing. I agree, they are nice algae grazers. I have not found any down side to having these in my tank.

I hope my feather dusted die back soon, i have a field of them on my sandbed lol

Hmmm, I thought they lived on LR. Not too sure how they are attached to the sand...do you have CC/sand substrate?

nope just sand, i even have one attached to my PH flex joint. id take a pic of i was home

I realize I got this thread totally off subject, sorry ferretmath. :oops:
Lets take any other questions that don't pertain to this OP's question to thier own thread. ;)

Back
Top Bottom