White feather duster looking thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garbear27

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just noticed this white thing on the live rock and it looks kind of like a very small white feather duster what is it

Attachments

• image-1165783346.jpg
    image-1165783346.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 336
mr_X said:
a very small white feather duster.

I've never experienced a feather duster before do they respond to light cuz I didn't think a feather duster would come on live rock

it's a worm that catches food with a net like appendage we call a duster. as far as light is concerned, i believe they are out around the clock, so i don't think light would matter.
yes, those small feather dusters are pretty common as hitch hikers on live rock. it won't get large like the ones for sale at the LFS however.

They don't respond to light but to movement. If you happen to wak in frnt of the tank, you'll see them retract. Anytime a snail or fish or some such get close, they will retract as well. Paranoid little things :)

Well whatever these things are they react to light cuz they go down everytime my lights go off so I don't think there feather dusters

that photo above is a feather duster. whether they hide at night or not, it's a filter feeding tube worm.

Back
Top Bottom