white hair-like organism in live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know pictures are suggested, but I don't think I can capture these tiny little white hair-like things on camera.

I am new to the saltwater aquariam world, and my 30 gallon hex tank has been set up for one month. It is in cycling mode w/ 5 blue damsels, an emerald crab, and 3 little red-legged hermit type crabs. The tank has live rock and live sand.

The white thread-like organisms seem to be more present at feeding time, and come out of the rock then retreat back in. There are approximately 5 of these white organisms, and they seem to feel around the rock, but don't exit the rock. My son said he thought he saw one feeling the emerald crab once??

Sorry no pictures:(
Any thoughts?? I beginning to get worried that it is some sort of worm or parasite that is not supposed to be there. I brought the rock straight home from the aquariam store and put it in the tank. I didn't know I should put the rock in a coralRx solution that I read about on-line tonight.

Any help is appreciated.

try to get a picture it will make it alot easier to identify

Did you find out what they were??? I just noticed the same thing in my tank today.

Testing pic upload...

Attachments

• image-1866023833.jpg
    image-1866023833.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 301
Found a picture. Please help

Attachments

• image-3114572345.jpg
    image-3114572345.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 502
It sounds like a worm of some type. From my experience in cycling you will notice all sorts of new life in your tank. I have tubeworms and some kind of snails that have these same hair-like features and I have been told they are not bad :)

It sounds like what I have in my live rock, which I have id as starfish. They live in the rock and only protrude their legs or tenticals, which look like white hair flailing around in ordeder to feed.

Oh :) well that is exciting! I just found a couple bristle stars in my tank! I love finding new stuff.

I caught one being active, I can't remember the exact name of them I will look it up again later

Attachments

• image-2203003581.jpg
    image-2203003581.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 471
Reactions: jsp
Finding new things in your tank is very cool. Sounds like star fish. Small filter feeding kind. I have many of them but they like to steel food from my mushrooms. The first pic on the glass is hard to see right but looks like some Copepods witch is still cool good food for a lot of different organisms.

Your pic captures it!

The picture sent by Sixkiller captures what I am seeing. Someone told me they could be spaghetti worms--what do you all think?

Back
Top Bottom