Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

My vote is for bad crab. Big time. That hairy. Fish, shrimp missing. Of course he'll eat anything already dead, as ANY crab will do. You gotta get him outta there. Maybe the old tilted, baited glass trick overnight will work.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

I just don't know how I will get it out...

I agree that it's probably a bad crab, but I just don't know how I'm going to get it out without disturbing the rocks and corals in my tank. I've only seen it a couple of times over the course of a few years (and each time it seems to have doubled in size!). I'm not familiar with the method that you described so I'll have to do some more research.

The weird thing is, I noticed my algae blenny bump into it on one of the rare occasions that I did see the crab and it even swam right into the crab and the crab didn't act agressive or try and grab it. And another time, I noticed my cleaner shrimp actually crawl on top of it and it didn't try and attack the shrimp. So I can't be certain that it's actually killing these things or if they just died and then he ate them. Either way, I wish I could identify the specific name and more importantly figure out how to remove it from my tank... Any other suggestions on identifying and/or removing it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just read back on this post and it explains the tilted glass trap.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Teddy bear/gorilla crab?
Old 01-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think you've identified it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDPhenomX4 View Post
Teddy bear/gorilla crab?

OMG! I just did a picture search on Yahoo for "Gorilla Crab" and I found someone that posted pics that look exactly like mine. Thanks for your help. I'm going to have to do some research about them...
Old 01-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodie View Post
OMG! I just did a picture search on Yahoo for "Gorilla Crab" and I found someone that posted pics that look exactly like mine. Thanks for your help. I'm going to have to do some research about them...
On second thought, it's definitely a teddy bear crab (Polydectus cupulifer). Bad news is that other people have reported them eating their fish and that's it is definitely not reef safe...
Old 01-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #27
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

take a glass cup (cleaned very well with no soap of course) and put it in the tank at an angle against some rock. put a piece of some kind of food in the bottom. when the crab climbs off the rock in to the glass, the glass keeps it from being able to get "traction" and climb back out. Then you can remove the cup, and do whatever you want with the crab.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks mfdrookie516 for providing detailed instructions, that makes a lot of sense. I'm going to try it, but I'm a little skeptical that I will be successful because I've only seen the teddy bear crab three times over the span of a few years. I'm not sure which rock its hiding in. I also think my fish will sneak in and eat the food before the crab does, but its definitely worth a shot. Thanks again!
Old 01-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #29
Thanx but no.....

Put the cup in at the same time you feed.. No one will be the wiser
Old 01-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

as far as i know hairy crabs are usually the bad ones...i had two in my tank and had 3 emerald crabs, 3 shrimp, and one goby dissapear before i realized it...i managed to capture both and they are now living happily in the sump

edit: sorry i didnt see that you had identified it already lol guess i should read the next page hey. If you can catch it i think you should throw him in the sump if you have one...if not bring him to your LFS
Old 01-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah, I haven't been successful in catching it yet, but I will probably drop him in the sump if I can ever catch it...
Old 01-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck man! I hope you catch it!

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com